Six Celeb Swanners
The Black Swan has a long and rich heritage.The traditional inn, which is thought to have stood on the same site for centuries, has welcomed thousands of guests over the years – and some of them are quite well known!So we thought we’d bring you a rundown of some of the most famous people the Helmsley hotel has had to stay.Here we go!
1. William Wordsworth The English poet stopped at The Black Swan on his way to another location.So happy with their stay his sister Dorothy, who also stayed, said in her journal: “My heart danced at the sight of its cleanly outside, bright yellow walls, Casements over-shadowed with jasmine, and its low, double gavel-ended front…”
2. Bryan Adams The Canadian rocker is perhaps one of the most well-known singers that has stayed over at ‘the Swan’. As well as his Helmsley trip, he visited the area again in 2016 to perform at a one-off gig in Scarborough.
3. Anne Robinson Queen of mean Anne Robinson was also one of The Black Swan’s valued guests. However she may not have overly indulged. In an interview with the Radio Times, Anne, 73, revealed she is “permanently on a diet” and never eats breakfast.
4. Princess Anne Princess Anne once spent a night in the hotel – with security needing to be tight. King Juan Carlos of Spain was another royal guest too.
5. Benedict Cumberbatch Benedict is reported to have been filming in the local area when he stayed. It was reported in Heat, the celeb mag calling the venue ‘a luvvies haven’.It said: “It’s one for theatrical types as Benedict Cumberbatch has stayed.”