100 Reasons To Visit Helmsley
Helmsley really is an idyllic location.
It’s a quintessential market town set in the heart of the world famous North York Moors.
We here at The Black Swan are absolutely sold on its charms.
With the Easter holidays in full swing it’s time to put Helmsley on your must visit list…and here are just a 100 reasons why.
1. Award winning afternoon tea at The Black Swan
2. The Verbena Spa at The Feversham Arms Hotel – with a Five Bubble rating from The Good Spa Guide
3. Ryeburn of Helmsley – and its renowned ice creams
4. The National Centre for Birds of Prey and its fabulous displays
5. English Heritage’s Rievaulx Abbey
6. Helmsley Castle really is a must-see
7. National Trust’s Rievaulx Terrace and Temple
8. The Cut-Price Bookstore is one for bookworms
9. Who can resist a peek into the Traditional Sweet Shop?
10. Helmsley Wines is a treasure trove if you’re looking for a special tipple
12. The Stick Man
13. Here on a Friday? Then it’s market day!
14. And don’t forget about the indoor market too in the town hall on the third Friday of every month
17. Browns Helmlsey; Department store shopping on the North York Moors
18. There are an array of antique shops in Helmsley, all with quirky delights on show
19. Helmsley Galleries – a must for arts fans. Take in its collections at both The Black Swan and The Feversham Arms Hotel
20. Fancy fine dining? The Gallery here at The Black Swan boasts three AA Rosettes whilst The Weathervane at The Feversham Arms Hotel boasts two. Nearby The Star at Harome has a Michelin star.
21. Helmsley Brewing Co. will delight beer fans
22. Duncombe Park stately home
23. There are also parklands at Duncombe and…
24. Beautiful gardens
25. All Saints Church is steeped with history – with stunning features
27. Helmsley Recreation Ground – with its fantastic outdoor play equipment
28. The walk from Helmsley Castle to Rievaulx Abbey
29. Paddling in Borobeck
30. A spot of tennis at Helmsley Recreation Ground
31. A browse of vintage fashions at Crane Vintage and The Magpie Room
32. Country wear fans can’t do much better than Carters
33. There are posh interior shops aplenty – including Peter Silk of Helmsley Ltd
34. Horse riding at Bilsdale Riding Centre
35. And there’s more for horsey fans too – with Sinnington Point to Point at Duncombe Park
36. We’re well known as a motorcycle meeting point
37. Catch a film at Helmsley Arts Centre
38. Champers by the pool at The Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
39. Good old fashioned pub grub; there are plenty to choose from
40. Spoil your pet with a stay at The Black Swan or Feversham. Both are very pet friendly
41. Pimms in beautiful The Black Swan gardens
42. FatFace is one of our cooler fashion haunts
44. A shopping spree at Pennita
45. Make a hamper at Hunters
46. You won’t get caught short here – with two sets of public loos
47. Fancy a new do? We have a good choice of hairdressers in Helmsley
48. Golden Square Caravan and Camping Park
49. Coffee anyone? You’ll be spoilt for choice here
50. Cocktails at The Cygnet Bar at The Black Swan
51. A Yorkshire breakfast with us
52. Did you know Helmsley is home to the North York Moors HQ?
53. The Cleveland Way starts (or ends) here
54. Say hello to Lord Feversham with his monument in Town Square
56. Enjoy the aroma in Thomas The Baker
57. Marley’s Butchers – a proper place to buy your sausages
58. YHA Helmsley
59. A wide selection of holiday cottages and B&Bs – The Black Swan being a fantastic place to dine out
60. A good nose around the charity shops
61. The Inn Way
62. Ebor Way
63. Views from Cowhouse Bank
64. And Newgate Bank
65. Gift shops aplenty
67. A whole lot of history
69. Pick up a bit of bling at Libby Butler Jewellers
70. There’s plenty going on at Helmsley Town Hall
71. Catch a craft fair
72. Or a Christmas one, annually at Duncombe
73. In fact Christmas in Helmsley is always special
74. An annual 10K run
75. Duncombe Park Trail Running Festival
76. Helmsley’s Aquathlons at the lido
77. Enjoy the cricket with a tipple or two at Helmsley Recreation Ground
78. A pub crawl
79. Take part in the now annual Dark Skies Festival
80. Get volunteering
81. Watch Helmlsey’s famous town crier
82. The Tour De Yorkshire will be whizzing past in May
83. Floristry fan? The Topiary Tree has a stunning selection
84. The Wool Shop is a crafter’s delight
85. Art lovers will enjoy Lazenby Visuals
86. Forget apps and screens – children will delight in the traditional toys at Claridges
87. Duncombe Sawmill
88. Alfresco dining – poolside, in gardens or overlooking the market square
89. The diverse wildlife
90. Bring your camera, there’s plenty to snap
91. A fish and chip supper from Scotts
93. Writing courses with those in the know at Helmsley Arts Centre
94. Yoga with Nadja Schutt
95. Charge up your Tesler at The Fev
96. Take a taste of Helmsley home – and pick up fresh deli produce. Yum!
97. Andrew Feather’s Belgian chocolates
98. A photoshoot for your pooch with The Phodographer!
99. The perfect place for a picnic is at the benches below the castle
100. Land Rover off-road driving at Duncombe – for under 17s!
Image Credits: North York Moors, view pic by Tracey Phillips
Life’s Little Luxuries
Little luxuries can make all the difference – and The Black Swan is hoping to enhance its guests’ experience even further with its in-room extras.
The Helmsley hotel is set to offer travel-size Temple Spa products in its 45 rooms, a brand which known for its opulent toiletries.
Each guest staying at the four star hotel set in the beautiful North Yorkshire market town of Helmsley will from Thursday, March 29 receive four amenities including:
· Peace Be Still Calming Skin Balm – 30ml
· Good Hair Day Frequent Use Shampoo – 30ml
· La La Lagoon Aromatic Bath & Shower Gel – 30ml
· Keep Calm Aromatic Cleansing Balm – 40g
Mark and Liz Warom are the founders of the Temple Spa brand.
They explain the origins of their company on its website – currently offering 10% off your next order by subscribing to the newsletter.
“Temple Spa was born out of our love of the Mediterranean,” say Mark and Liz on the site.
“The people, the food, the lifestyle and the landscape are infused with such a special energy.
“We were inspired to set out on an adventure that would bring all this to life for people everywhere.”
They add: “We’ve won multiple awards and worldwide acclaim for our luxury range and our spa experiences.”
The Black Swan’s sister hotel, also in Helmsley, is already a Temple Spa ambassador.
The Feversham Arms Hotel’s Verbena Spa offers Temple Spa treatments and products.
To book a room at The Black Swan contact the hotel on 01439 770466 directly or visit this link.
To find out more about The Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa visit this link.
Come to Work…With Us!
What do you love most about The Black Swan?
Our traditional Yorkshire fayre with a theatrical twist? Crackling open log fires? Or even our idyllic English country gardens?
We could go on.
Now imagine it not just as a place to visit…but to work.
We have teamed up with our sister property The Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa to welcome job hunters at a special job fair this week.
Across the two properties we are looking to fill 32 posts, including food and beverage assistants, spa therapists, chefs and receptionists – with salaries ranging from £15,600 through to £35,000.
Those who do secure one of the posts will receive impressive staff perks including discounts on hotel accommodation, food, beverage, spa treatments and products – with cut-price stays for employees starting from £35 for two people on a bed and breakfast basis.
All benefits will be given after three months successful service.
Shelly Hague is Group Head of HR for the two sister hotels.
She said: “We are in an exciting period of expansion at the properties and have a wide range of posts we’re looking to fill with ambitious staff.
“It’s a chance to be part of a team who are helping to build on our fantastic reputations whilst also putting an individual stamp on what we offer here.”
There will be heads of department on hand to offer their expertise and talk through what roles are on offer.
Information sheets will be available for the roles that will include a mix of temporary and permanent contracts.
The Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa boasts an impressive four AA red stars as well as two AA Rosettes for its restaurant.
The luxurious, award-winning spa includes a renowned outdoor heated pool.
The Black Swan Hotel is a four star venue – and its The Gallery restaurant has three AA Rosettes, a well-known Tearoom and offers Yorkshire hospitality with flare.
Helmsley itself is a beautiful market town and is one of the most popular places to visit within the North York Moors National Park – and commutable from a range of surrounding towns and areas including Thirsk, Northallerton, Teesside and York.
The event will take place on Sunday, March 18 and Monday, March 19 between 4pm and 7pm at The Black Swan, Market Square, Helmsley. Admission is free and all are welcome to attend.
You can register your interest for the Recruitment Open Day via the Facebook event or by contacting Shelly via email. Her email address is email@example.com